Monday, December 13, 2010

Food for Thought

Lately I've been busy working all the time, not necessarily at my job, just in general. My life is like having three full time jobs when you account in everything for school, tech center, online classes, work, and debate team. I've often wondered, "is it actually worth it?". I generally reach the conclusion that if I had to give up something, work would be first to go because it would be the only one I could lose. I don't generally dislike my job, but it truly does suck the soul right out of you, dealing with ignorance at nearly every acquaintance. Even today I had an individual come up to me and ask a price on an item, when I told her "one hundred fifty", she responded by exclaiming "dollars?!?!". I thought to myself, "did that just really happen?" I then thought about saying "No mam', we accept Euro's and Pesos here, heck maybe even Yen if you play your cards right, of course it's dollars, your shopping in the United States of America, the nation fueled by credit and incompetent government."

In my experience there are often two types of people that you will encounter, those who are ignorant, and those who exploit others' ignorance. "What they don't know won't hurt them." they cry, it is true that ignorance is bliss, for some, but ignorance is often harmful. How do you think people get ripped off or cheated out of a situation? Often if not always it is because they are ignorant. Is ignorance voluntary? Is there an excuse for ignorance? At what point is ignorance detrimental to the individual and society? These are questions I have often found myself getting befuddled into. To tell you the truth I don't have an answer. The only answer you can really provide for questions like that seem to be the most pragmatic and realist answer, which would be a case a case basis or what is most beneficial to the utility of society, the majority of individuals, but wait, didn't we just establish that the majority of individuals are ignorant?

Ugh, and around the circle goes.

I have often wondered about the question of gay marriage, but then again, is it really a question, or is it a debate of preference? I'm a Libertarian, or I like to believe so, and I believe that judgments for such topics or debates should be left up to the judgment of God. I believe every man is entitled to life, liberty, and property as long as it does not directly infringe on the rights of others. Gay marriage conflicts with no rights of others whatsoever, because believe it or not, offending someone doesn't conflict with their inalienable rights, that's the whole point, we are given liberty for the sole purpose of choice, and there is almost always someone who will disagree with or be offended by your choices, but the whole point is to have the liberty to make them as you see fit. If gay's are truly sinful or evil, etc., God will sort it all out, but it's not our place to judge, which is exactly what we are doing by preventing them from marriage. There are plenty of others things to worry about. Every man is a product of his experience, and if someones experiences truly made them to act a certain with virtually no restraint, will they be judged harshly? We shall see, we shall see. Although on the flip side, how can one be for gay marriage and not be for polygamist marriage?

Let yourself ponder and come to your own conclusions, as Socrates said, I'm not teaching you anything, I'm only bringing out the knowledge already inside yourself.

2 comments:

  1. I've actually always kinda wondered about whether polygamist marriage should be legal. My only thoughts on that is that monogamy vs polygamy isn't the same debate as gay vs straight marriage.

    So its not fair to say that opening gay marriage up as an option suddenly brings polygamy up to the table.

    I think if the polygamy vs monogamy debate ever did happen it would be pretty easy to defend monogamy, it prevents huge complications with having a huge interconnected web of marriages, which is easier for governments, and its also kinda the way that we instinctively are. But i won't pick sides on that, because i don't see a massive moral dilemna between polygamy and monogamy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's not natural to be homosexual either, its a matter of rights we are talking about here. A homosexual society cannot survive, but a polygamist one can, if you want to bring the debate to that point. All I'm saying is you can't pick and choose who gets to marry and who can't when your talking about these kinds of these. It's not our place as humans to do these kinds of things.

    ReplyDelete